Ink Pouring Materials List
- Ma or Pi at least 4 or more
- Tray (Low walled baking tray or something similar)
- Plastic liner
- Large brush large flow or bigger
- Fine Mist Spray bottle
- Lots of felt for drying finish work
- Flower plate for color
- Water color (no need to get any particular brand I am using bright light
- Indigo, yellow, vermillion)
- Accent colors: Sakura or DaVinci White, Stone Blue, Stone Green (available separately or as part of Bright Light, Yasutomo or Marie's Chinese Watercolor sets offered by OAS)
- Vessels for pouring color (small squirt or dropper bottles or very small pitchers)
Marbling Materials List
- Mix 3 drops of dish soap in 1/4 cup of water
- a gallon of distilled water (I'll be using tap water, but if you live in an area where you're using well water, you may want to get a gallon of distilled water from your local market)
- two dishes for ink and soapy water
- bucket for used water
- 3-4 brushes preferably ones that naturally come to a point. I will be using Happy Dot, Pre Happy Dot, Twig and a mixing brush
- Sumi-e ink, I will be using Wu Chu and also demonstrating the differences between Best Bottle Ink to show that bottles of ink tend to vary initially.
- White Plastic Tray for Marbling – Oriental Art Supply two is ideal, but one can work depending on the effect you want.
- Paper: a variety of different rice papers will work, I've marbled on double shuen, colored shuen, practice roll, glass, vintage sized shuen, jade plate double shuen, pi, ma. The only one that I don't think will work is Single Shuen or Best Shuen. Cut the papers slightly smaller than the tray you will be using.
- Optional (Kodak Photo Flow) with two plastic jars with lids labeled fast and slow.
"Bare Bones" List
We realize that many may not have the complete list of materials but still wish to participate. First, everyone should realize that qualified participation includes access to a recording of the event that can be rewatched as many times as you want. But for those of you looking for a bare bones materials list here it is:
- Two Flat, Low walled baking trays
- 3 Drops of Dish Soap mixed in 1/4 cup of water
- Containers for pouring (anything small will work)
- One Large Brush (like Large Flow)
- Two small brushes (like Happy Dot or Pre Happy Dot)
- Watercolors of your choice
- Fine Mist Spray Bottle